On 1. June 1911 the first large brewery was founded in Memmingen. Josef Herz, with the brewery “Zum Schwarzen Ochsen” Wilhelm Bilgram with the brewery “Zum Schwarzen Adler” and Fritz Halder, owner of the brewery “Weisses Ross” merged, forming a joint-stock company named “Bürgerliches Brauhaus”. “Zum Schwarzen Ochsen”, run by Josef Herz, was jointly used, [...]
As a consequence of big economic difficulties, the two largest breweries in Memmingen, namely “Bürgerliches Brauhaus AG Memmingen” and “Engelbrauerei Memmingen Gebrüder Memmingen” merged to “Bürger- und Engelbräu Aktiengesellschaft”. The board of directors was constituted by Albert Sayle and Hugo Bilgram.
Several restaurants were taken over and the Benediktiner Brewery Ottobeuren was affiliated. Three wheat beer breweries, Jaut, Steinbogen and Waldhornbrauerei, were bought. New branches were opened in Munich, Augsburg, Constance, Besigheim, Oberurbach, Hindelang, Geislingen, Munderkingen as well as the Benediktiner Brewery in Ottobeuren.